ExoFlare is an Australian biosecurity software startup, using data analytics and machine learning to rethink how to identify and respond to biosecurity risks.
We’re looking for a talented and motivated Mid or Senior Frontend or Full Stack Software Engineer to join our agile, cross-functional team. We have flexible work conditions, including remote work (on an east coast timezone).
This is a ground-floor opportunity to help build and shape our solutions as we scale to solve a multi-billion dollar economic, environmental and societal problem. We’re generating revenue, with strong financial backing and a high-profile, experienced board and leadership team.
We’re developing a risk platform that brings together many different sources of data and applies cutting-edge modelling and machine learning approaches to help people make the right biosecurity decisions. Our software is currently used in the Australian agricultural sector, with channel partnerships to extend to thousands of customers.
There’s no shortage of complex and interesting engineering challenges for you to sink your teeth into in our empowered team. We believe in staying close to our customers, striving to turn complexity into simple and engaging experiences. We are values-based and embrace a culture of iterative delivery, with a strong focus on outcome and learning.
What you’ll do
As a Frontend Software Engineer at ExoFlare you’ll be:
- Developing a responsive React frontend in TypeScript for new and existing web apps, complete with good test coverage
- Collaborating with UX designers and product managers for design handover, and backend engineers on APIs and deployment
- Learning best practices and new techniques, from colleagues and through structured training such as conferences.
- Maintaining the codebase by filing, fixing, and following up on issues supported by continuous integration (CI)
- Iterating within an agile workflow and robust Quality Assurance procedures
- Productionising future analytics capabilities including visualisation, geospatial/GIS, and batch/stream processing
You’ll have the opportunity to branch into more than just frontend engineering, including backend, user experience, product and data science, by:
- Collaborating with and learning from a cross-functional team including engineering, user experience, data science, product and project management professionals
- Supporting backend development on a Python REST API with good test coverage and extensive type hints
- Contributing to the longer-term product vision with new feature ideas and suggestions
- Influencing the company vision through planning, design sprints and other co-design activities, and an open leadership team
- Exploring and visualising data from both clients and our own products, using machine learning, Bayesian data analysis and GIS
What we’re looking for
Skills that would be helpful:
- Experience with TypeScript
- Experience with other components of our stack: Python, Postgres, AWS or other cloud providers, DevOps, geospatial data, data science or data engineering
- Australian citizen or Australian Permanent Resident with permission to work full-time in Australia
- Currently located in Australia
- React & TypeScript frontend
- End-to-end test suite using Playwright
- Python backend running on AWS Lambda, ECS, API Gateway and PostgreSQL
- Deployed to AWS infrastructure from GitHub Actions CI via Serverless (for the API) and AWS CDK (for other components)
- Data science in the Python ecosystem (Jupyter, Pandas, TensorFlow, among others)
Why you’ll like working here
- Opportunity to solve challenging and impactful problems
- Fast-paced, agile work cadence with huge potential for growth
- Autonomy and ownership of technical direction
- Strong connection and focus on end-users and customers
- Opportunity to influence and build work culture and company vision
- Welcoming, supportive work environment that values knowledge sharing and personal growth
- Flexible work arrangements and a remote-first culture for wherever “home” is for you
- Stock options via our ESOP plan, on top of your regular salary
ExoFlare is a proud Project F Program 50/50 Partner – we’re committed to gender diversity and equality.
People matter | Customer focus | Growth mindset | Purpose-driven | Diversity & inclusion | Openness & honesty | Quality
Apply: Frontend / Full Stack Software Engineer
Please note: No recruiters or recruiting agencies, please.
Please complete the short form below to apply for this role. We look forward to reviewing your materials and will respond quickly to your application.