ExoFlare is an Australian biosecurity software startup, using data analytics and machine learning to rethink how to identify and respond to biosecurity risks.
We’re looking for a talented and motivated back end or full stack Mid-level or Senior-level Software Engineer to join our agile, cross-functional team. We have flexible work conditions, including remote work (on an Australian east coast timezone).
This is a ground-floor opportunity to help build and shape our solutions as we scale to solve a multi-billion dollar economic, environmental and societal problem. We’re generating revenue, with strong financial backing and a high-profile, experienced board and leadership team.
We are developing a risk platform that brings together many different sources of data and applies cutting-edge modelling and machine learning approaches to help people make the right biosecurity decisions. Our software is currently used in the Australian agricultural sector, with channel partnerships to extend to thousands of customers.
There is no shortage of complex and interesting engineering challenges for you to sink your teeth into in our empowered team. We believe in staying close to our customers, striving to turn complexity into simple and engaging experiences. We are values-based and embrace a culture of iterative delivery, with a strong focus on outcomes and learning.
What you’ll do
As a Software Engineer at ExoFlare you’ll be:
- Coding a Python backend complete with good test coverage and extensive type hints
- Developing a responsive React frontend in TypeScript for new and existing web apps, complete with good test coverage (for full stack)
- Deploying new aspects of our cloud architecture using AWS and CDK (AWS Cloud Development Kit)
- Maintaining the codebase by filing, fixing, and following up on issues supported by continuous integration (CI)
- Iterating within an agile workflow and robust Quality Assurance procedures
- Productionising future analytics capabilities including visualisation, geospatial/GIS, and batch/stream processing
You’ll have the opportunity to branch into other areas, including frontend, user experience, product and data science, by:
- Collaborating with and learning from a cross-functional team including engineering, user experience, data science, product and project management professionals
- Supporting frontend development with responsive React components in TypeScript using functional components and hooks
- Contributing to the longer-term product vision with new feature ideas and suggestions
- Influencing the company vision through planning, design sprints and other co-design activities
- Exploring data from both clients and our own products, to inform all of the above, using machine learning, Bayesian data analysis and GIS
What we’re looking for
- Backend web development experience
Skills that would be helpful:
- Experience with web development using Python and relational databases is preferred
- Experience with other components of our stack: TypeScript, React or other web frontend experience, AWS or other cloud providers, DevOps, data science or data engineering
- Australian citizen or Australian Permanent Resident with permission to work full-time in Australia
- Currently located in Australia
- Python backend running on AWS Lambda, ECS, API Gateway, Kinesis and PostgreSQL
- React & TypeScript frontend
- End-to-end test suite using Playwright
- Deployed to AWS infrastructure from GitHub Actions CI via CDK
- Data science in the Python ecosystem (Jupyter, Pandas, TensorFlow, among others)
Why you’ll like working here
- Opportunity to solve challenging and impactful problems
- Fast-paced, agile work cadence with huge potential for growth
- Autonomy and ownership of technical direction
- Strong connection and focus on end-users and customers
- Opportunity to influence and build work culture and company vision
- Welcoming, supportive work environment that values knowledge sharing and personal growth
- Flexible work arrangements and a remote-first culture for wherever “home” is for you
- Stock options via our ESOP plan, on top of your regular salary
ExoFlare is a proud Project F Program 50/50 Partner – we are committed to gender diversity and equality.
People matter | Customer focus | Growth mindset | Purpose-driven | Diversity & inclusion | Openness & honesty | Quality
Apply: Mid-Senior Software Engineer
Please note: No recruiters or recruiting agencies, please.